November 1, 2010

Bourbon Review: Jim Beam Red Stag

Today in America a "real" man is usually not seen drinking any type of drink with fruit in it. For example, have you ever seen MacGuyver, Clint Eastwood, or Bob Vila drinking fruity booze? Exactly. However, I am a firm believer that there is an exception to just about every rule. That exception, my friends, is Jim Beam's newest type of bourbon, Red Stag. It is a Jim Beam white label bourbon infused with black cherry. Girlish? Yes. Delicious? Absolutely.

Now before you judge consider the following: John Adams would drink a pint of hard cider every morning. That's 16oz of fruity apple delight every single day (AND LOOK WHAT HE ACCOMPLISHED!)  Let's face it - some of the finest feats in United States history were accomplished under booze-induced hogmanays. The achievements in my life will be accomplished no differently, even if it means drinking cherry infused bourbon. Here are goods on Jim Beam Red Stag:

Bottling Name: Red Stag
Bottled By: James B. Beam Distilling Co.
Location: Clermont, Kentucky
Alcohol Content: 80 Proof
Bourbon Type: Kentucky Straight
Aged: 4-years

Drunk History Guy Says: 
Look, I could sit here and analyze this bourbon by "nose", "taste", and "finish" but I don't really care about all that. All I care about are the two most important questions I ask myself when it comes to tasting new bourbon: How does it taste going down and how quickly will it take to get me drunk?

To answer the first question I'd like to compare the Red Stag experience to sharing a moment with one of history's sassiest black singers, Aretha Franklin. She's sweet, thick, golden brown, and makes you feel warm all over. That is exactly how I would describe the first sip of Red Stag.

In terms of the second question, getting drunk off of this stuff is extremely easy. There are two factors that contribute to this:
1. The obvious:I am skinny and literally have zero alcohol tolerance
2. Although it is only 80 proof, the delicious cherry flavor tastes like a freeze-pop and makes it easy to chug two or three glasses.

The Bottom Line:
So there you have it, girly man. Drinking a bourbon with fruit never made you look and feel so cool. Besides, at $17.99 a bottle, I'm left with $2 to go buy some nail polish that matches my fruity drink. Pinkies up!


No comments:

Post a Comment