April 10, 2012

A Sip of History


Winter is no joke. Mother Nature always reminds us who's boss here in New England despite it being a "mild" winter. Snow or no snow, winter usually inspires me to drink more than usual. When I'm not chugging bourbon it is sometimes good to switch things up a bit. You know, confuse the palate. Some of my favorite wintertime cocktails to make are historic in nature, of course! The Coow Woow (pronounced "Coo-Woo") is considered to be America's first cocktail and is a potent concoction of spirits.

I first found out about the Coow Woow while staying at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury, Massachusetts. The official website proclaims it "is the oldest Inn still operating in the United States..."
A cheeseboard at the Wayside Inn!
This website  does a great job highlighting the history of this drink. I highly recommend a visit even if it is just for the amazing New England dinner menu.

Anyway, back to the booze. I ordered my first Coow Woow's (calling it a Cow Wow) two years ago and to my enjoyment, it went down smooth. What didn’t turn out fine was my verbal and fine motor skills after having a second! Here is the recipe for those of you feeling ambitious, brave, and historic!
To make a coow woow, mix:
  • 2 parts white rum
  • 1 part ginger brandy
  • Pour over crushed ice
  • Stir
  • Strain
  • Serve in a cocktail glass (and make sure you have a responsible driver!)


No comments:

Post a Comment