October 15, 2012

Greatest Swordsmith Ever?

Last week I stumbled upon a show called Secrets of the Viking Sword on PBS. Do not, however, let the the title deter you because this show quite possibly features the greatest swordsmith known to man.

Quick premise of the show: Master sword-forger is given the ultimate challenge: to create a replica of the Ulfberht sword, arguably the hardest sword in the world to forge, according to him.

The video below will give you just a glimpse at how intense this man is. As you watch, note three things:

1. The astonishing look of sincerity in his eyes
2. The intense music in the background
3. The reason why he makes swords..."I don't need a sword, but I have to make them. Not because I can't do anything else but because I can't do anything else." (greatest quote of all time, really)

Do you think he reached spiritual nirvana after he finished the sword?



No comments:

Post a Comment